Hannah Oppenheimer


Product Designer, Ice Cream Maker

Electronic Medical Record

Muve Health

When I started working with the Muve team, I hopped in as the app was being designed and built with the help of an external agency. The product had many features of regular EMRs, but was also a task management program that would guide a clinician through their interactions with patients. I spent some time making UX and UI improvements to this application.

For example, I dramatically decreased the navigation complexity from about eight tabs to three, after reorganizing content and convincing stakeholders to take a more minimalist approach to what would be the initial feature set.

I added context to the timeline feature of the patient profile (the line with dots). Originally, it was simply a line with dots, but I added labels and hover/click states so that users could get a better sense of where the patient was in the facility and process. This was a direct result of user testing.

I also added some personality and functionality in our empty states. For example, when a clinician's task list was empty, they would see this Take a Deep Breath illustration. Many of our users loved this feature because it actually made them smile to know that they were done with the current workload.

Sometimes, I used Codepen as a sandbox to test out different experience in interaction design, such as this loading spinner. I used an asset file from the marketing team, this bean shape, codified the layers in SVG, and then animated them! (This was fun, but it was eventually nixed because the Product team didn't like the Marketing team's funny bean shape after all).

See the Pen Beanerang Loading Animation by Hannah Oppenheimer (@opihana) on CodePen.

I loved working with our MVP, but the more I spoke with our clinicians, it became clear that it wasn't the right fit for our users. The implementation of the initial product was too focused on task completion, and not focused enough on the holistic process that staff go through with each patient.

It was time for a larger renovation of our product's user experience. It was time for a Design Sprint.

The Design Sprint

My Sprint co-leader and I wrangled our troops--essential stakeholders from the business, analytics, product and engineering teams--together for a five-day design thinking excercise.

We spent the first part of the Sprint getting everyone on the same page about the state of the current MVP, and what problem we really wanted to solve with our product.

After a few days bunkered in a room in a WeWork in Austin discussing potential ideas with the group, I came up with prototypes for our new solution. Then, I tested those prototypes and iterated. I worked with my team on making User Flow charts to show intent to the development team and ensure good communication about expected user paths. Eventually, I landed on the designs here.

The right-hand column shows a list of forms or to-do items that are either incomplete, in progress, or complete for a specific phase of the patient's surgical process. The idea here was to focus on provide clincians with a consistent and ordered process, but give them the freedom and flexibility to do so in a way that makes sense with their workflow, all while providing patient context and organization to their documentation.